Friday, April 04, 2008

Keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times…

It appears that Miss Meredith is going to be a little trouble maker from the get-go. Had she made it through just one more night (last night) she could have been discharged today – apparently she just isn’t ready yet. She had a couple of breathing problems in the night and now we’re shooting for Sunday morning for discharge…of course only if she makes it between now and then without any more problems.

I had kept my “Oprah Ugly Cry” in my pocket from Tuesday, so I was able to whip that out and use it again! However, the doctor today is Dr. S – and we really like him. Not many parents get the chance to become as familiar with NICU doctors and nurses the way we have – which is a good thing I guess. Dr. S is very soft spoken and gentle with the babies – and with emotionally drained mothers! AND, thankfully, Gayle is our nurse again today – I don’t know if I could have made it through this morning’s disappointment with anyone else. I guess I just would have – it was just nice to have it be a friend.

And really, the disappointment is selfish. Of course we want Meredith to be where she needs to be – and we’d never jeopardize her health. We’re just so looking forward to being a “normal” family again. I miss my kids terribly. The drive to and from the hospital (abt an hour each way) is getting longer and longer each day. Actually RESTING from abdominal surgery would be nice at some point. And I can’t stand having the kids ask when Meredi is coming home and not being able to give them an answer. So see, the disappointment is mostly selfish. Of course we want our little sister at home with her family!!! But more than that, we want her safe and healthy – and we can wait a little longer for a clean bill of health.

So, today’s “Maybe” and tomorrow’s “Probably” have both been bumped to Sunday…I hate to even throw days out there – so much can happen to change things. So don’t get your hopes up – (that’s a hard lesson to learn) – and hopefully Monday morning we’ll be sharing pictures from HOME!

4 comments:

Yvette A said...

Hugs Sheila,

Ri did not have breathing problems (probably from the steroid shot I got just before he was born) but when they said he was being shipped out till they have room back home well that broke my dam...lol

She will be home with you all very soon....It is tuff to divide your time with your nb in NICU and your other babies at home....talk about being split in half.

Big hugs from here.

Gnomey said...

(((((Shiela)))))
Hang in there, Sweetie... I'm so sorry...

amy said...

Oh, man.

All in good time. That is arrogant for me to say that when all I have to do is check your blog, and not be inconvenienced in any other way. It reality. I am just amazed at your ability to keep the right perspective and be in control of your thoughts at this stage. I would be a raging idiot!

We love you and hope you are continued with comfort and ability!

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. All the ups and downs.

You go and have that Big ugly oprah cry. Sometimes it helps.

I truly hope that soon your baby will turn the tide and be able to go home with you.

((hugs))