Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wow - you guys are good!

If you didn't get a chance to read the last entry (it's probably just as well, b/c it was pretty disjointed) in a nutshell I asked for prayers that Meredi would "click" and start eating/nippling her feeds better AND that I'd have the nerve to bring up the subject of stopping the caffeine with the doctor.

SO...this morning, Meredi nippled 40 of 53ccs...which is GREAT!!!!! I'm very anti-metric, and I hate that everything they do here is measured metrically...but 40 of 53 is so close to being a "full feed". I don't expect that this means she'll do that well, or improve to 53 of 53 by her next feed by any means...but this is a huge milestone!!! So thanks to those of you who have kept our angel girl in your thoughts and prayers - they're helping - she's getting it!

AND...I talked with our nurse, Roy, this morning about the caffeine before the doctor did rounds. He offered to bring up the subject with the doctor for me - and before we could finish our own discussion about it, the doctor showed up - Sooooo, I took a deep breath and blurted it out - telling her I was worried that Meredith would get the whole eating thing down in the next few days and if we didn't stop the caffeine now -we'd still have a week to wait even after she was ready to go home. The doctor agreed with me (wow) and said that Meredi is officially DONE with caffeine now. She had her last dose of it last night and will not get any more!

NOW...we just need to pray that her little brain can remember to keep her breathing - and can keep from having any central apnea spells between now and discharge. Which - if she could get her feeds down, could be 7 days from now ... given there is no more apnea! I hate to get my hopes up...but they are - I'd love to be taking her home in 7 days!

No comments: