"Meredi" is doing so amazing well - we are just so proud of her we could bust! She weighed 5 lb 11 oz (a couple ounces shy of Malorie's & Melanie's weights at 33wks). But unlike Mal and Mel, Meredi scored a 9 on her apgar at one minute - and the next was done in the nursery, so I missed her score. When the neonatologist announced that she was giving Meredi a 9, my ob talked over my sterile screen while he was closing everything up and said, "Wow, neonatologists NEVER give 9's - always 4's & 5's." Then the neonatologist looked at the NICU nurses who were in the OR taking care of Meredith and said, "You don't need me here, I'm going back to help sick kids!" And with that, she went back to NICU leaving Meredith in the care of nurses b/c she wasn't a "sick kid" by the neonatologist's standards! What a rush that was to hear.
After I was finished in recovery, Brandon and I got to go and visit Meredi in NICU. She looks just fabulous. She's breathing all room air, without any assistance at all. Her blood sugars are good. They'll let her lay low until the Magnesium that I was given (to try to stop pre-term labor) works out of her system, abt 24hrs. Because it makes the baby so groggy, they don't push the baby much until they are "clean and sober" so they're not overworking unnecessarily. So she may get to try to nurse as soon as Monday (today) evening!
Long story (finally) short: Shiela is doing great, survived c/section number 5 and, although tired, she has no complaints (we'll see how she yelps when the narcotics wear off - LOL). Meredi is just our hero! I know not to put all of our eggs in to one basket - odds are Meredi will have a set-back or two while in NICU (maintianing body temp, learning to eat, etc) - but she's honestly the best (healthwise) preemie we've had. A NINE on her apgar...from Dr. W no less. She's a very good neonatologist, we met her way back with Malorie and saw her at one time or another with the other preemies, but she never struck us as "chatty or chummy" - both of which she was during the c/section. Little jokes here and there - compliments to the other staff...just a very nice, nice outgoing person. A very obvious change in personalities from what we remembered - and we like it!!! :)
We are so blessed!



6 comments:
She's gorgeous!!!! Welcome little Meredi!
Almost a St. Patty's baby :)
Congrats and so happy to hear all is going well.
She is beautiful as is her mommy....Love Mardi
PS - I am kinda selfish about my birthday so probably best she was born on the 16th...hahaha
Congratulations on the birth of little Meredi! She is beautiful. Glad both Mom and baby are doing great. My full term baby didn't even score a 9 on his apgar. Way to go Meredi!
Congratulations!!! I'm glad she's so healthy! And she already looks just a like a Lee.
Heidi H.
congratulations!!! She's beautiful and I know you all are totally in love.
So glad she's here and safe! She looks perfectly kissable! Congratulations!
Post a Comment