I did get a little happy news today - apparently, Meredi hasn't had any apnea for 2 full days and so far none today. So back on that day when I said she had it - she really didn't. When the nurse and I looked at the little strip that prints out showing her heart rate/O2level/resp, we were pretty sure it was apnea that would "count" - it's called "central apnea" when the brain actually stops doing it's job and forgets to breathe....apparently it was really "obstructive" - when she chokes a little and messes up her rhythm. (Did anyone really want to know all of That?)
So today is day 3 of no apnea - if she makes it another day I think I'll pull on my big girl boots and ask the doctor about discontinuing the caffeine to see what happens.
When the doctor and I talked about it some other day...(they truly are all running together)...we weren't in a huge hurry to stop the caffeine b/c Meredi was still having such a hard time nippling full feeds.
Well...today they sent an occupational therapist in to watch Meredi while she took her bottle and she offered me a ton of helpful advice (Baby #9 and apparently I still don't know what I'm doing!) Anyway, we changed the nipple on her bottle to a faster flow, thinking it would help to keep her from having to work so hard to eat, and save her strength to be able to eat longer.
Soooooo...if she can eat faster, and hopefully move up to full feeds in the near future - I don't want caffeine to be our hold up. (This is all making sense in my blurry mind - don't feel bad if it's not making sense to you...odds are I'm thinking it much more clearly than I'm typing it!) We'll just do a Reader's Digest version here and say: Please pray that Meredi "clicks" and gets this bottle feeding thing - and pray that I have the guts to ask the doctor to consider discontinuing the caffeine.
The rest of the clan is doing well. I was feeling well enough to give the boys hair cuts last night - they look ok...I forgot the part about feeling ok ONLY b/c I'm still taking painkillers. They're kind of big-ticket painkillers...so if you see our boys and think their hair looks questionable, please just tell them they look good - and hopefully by the time it grows out again, I'll be clean and sober!
Jacob has his Pinewood Derby tomorrow night. I am excited to go to that with him. I have missed SO MUCH during this pregnancy and being on bedrest. I may have to recruit grandma to come with us since I'll need to take the littles with us - but I'm so happy to go. He and dad made his car to look like - oh wait...I probably shouldn't disclose the design yet!! I promise to update later this week with pictures! Trust me though, it's so darn cute...errrr, I mean Cool. (only mom's can think derby cars are cute)
Well, this boring "Tuesday" review is getting longer and longer and I'm really not saying much that's important. Our family sure does appreciate our loyal readers (read - beloved friends and family members). Your support is just priceless to us! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you do. For your thoughts and prayers, for those who are nearby and offer your help (even though we're really bad at accepting it...know we appreciate the offer). The phone calls, the cards, the email - every little thought in our behalf is just precious to us! Thank you!
1 comment:
Picture me slapping the computer desk and saying no way! I can't believe how exciting how great that is about the apnea. That is wonderful. She just has surprises around every corner. What a champ! I am looking forward to seeing Jacob's pinewood derby car. That sounds like fun!
Thanks for keeping us updated.
The pict. of that sweet angel looks like she is at you house, all comfy, without any tubes. BEAUTIFUL. Give her a good sniff and snuggle for me.
Post a Comment