Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One gets 'em - One loses 'em!

I'm talking about teeth!

I'm sure y'all'll (hee hee, can you contract that?) remember that Gracie got her first tooth this week. Her very first experience with teeth! Last night, Joseph had his very first experience with LOSING teeth. "Wait Shiela, you must mean Melanie...Joe isn't old enough to lose teeth." Yes, you are right! However, the piano had other plans and when his little mouth collided with it full on, the piano won and 3 of Joe's teeth bit it (no pun intended, lol).



I called our wonderful dentist within seconds of realizing what had happened. I told him I was holding 2 of Joseph's teeth in my hand, roots fully intact, what do we do?? He said, "Nothing, we don't put baby teeth back in." I was physically ill! I must have sounded like a blithering idiot on the phone. I was trying really hard to hold it together! lol

I gave Joseph some Motrin - realized he had in fact lost 3 teeth - (I decided to stop looking in his mouth b/c every time I did, another tooth was missing.). He settled down on my lap and went to sleep. About 15 minutes after he fell asleep, our dentist and his sweet wife showed up at our door! He had already told me how to take care of Joseph over the phone, but man it was nice to have him take a look at Joseph himself. He said Joseph's mouth looked great "From a dentist's point of view...(obviously)".

Today Joseph woke up happy. He has been able to eat and drink just fine. His mouth doesn't hurt. And his smile isn't as bad as I spent the entire night thinking it would be! I pictured more of a Hillbilly sorta thing...

Never a dull moment at our house, I tell ya!

3 comments:

Amy C. said...

I'm so glad I read your blog before I went to bed or the tooth fairy would have forgotten to pay a visit to Kelcie tonight!

Joseph doesn't look any worse for the wear - altho considering he's #8 and this is the first fistfull of teeth you've lost, you're doing pretty well!

Lauren said...

Man. You have a great dentist! I can't believe he just showed up. Sorry about the lost teeth. He still is adorable

Anonymous said...

Shades of Kelly-my own toothless wonder.

His big teeth will be in in about 7 yrs. That is how long Kelly took when she knocked her teeth out.

Poor little guy. He is so cute and no bruising.