Monday, May 19, 2008

The Lilac Parade '08

It was a bust! Ok, not really - but I will admit, it wasn't the same going this year as it was going 16 years ago (which is the last time Brandon and I went!). Downtown Spokaloo is getting darn scary! My poor little country-bumpkin kids had quite the piercings/tattoos/colored hair/no hair/baggy pants/no pants awakening of their lives! I truly think just watching the park dwellers was more entertaining than the parade!

It was HOT (90 degrees) and everyone was tired. The boys had been camping - the girls had been at sleepovers. Our hometown band was very small and unimpressive. My alma-mater didn't even have a band in the parade at all this year! (I truly was disappointed!)

So looking back over the evening we really did get more entertainment from an evening of sitting together on the sidewalk downtown the we got from the parade!

Jason can sit in a camp chair for HOURS on end -



Maddie does NOT like to be secretly videoed (don't worry, Jacob wasn't harmed in the making of this film).



Jacob can open and close a Krispy Kreme box faster than the shutter speed of our camera.



Megan is the most efficient donut eater in our family.



Jared is freaky looking when he's upside down.



Malorie has a new trick that she can do on command and that makes us laugh every time!



Melanie can watch a park-dwelling-weirdo walk by without moving her head.



Joseph saves donuts on his shirt to eat later.



Meredi can sleep through ANYTHING!



Mom and dad actually look better blurry than not!



There you have it - the Lilac Parade in review. Glad we went this year so we now know never to bother with it again! :)

(I don't want to discredit the wonderful memories I have of the Lilac Parade as a kid though - good times, good friends! Too bad times are changing!)

2 comments:

Amy C. said...

I have such fond memories of the Lilac Parade - sorry to hear that it's not all it used to be! Altho, I had to laugh over your description of the people you saw downtown - unfortunately that's typical of what we see EVERY time we leave the house!! I must be desensitized to it because it barely registers anymore. We laugh that there really isn't a dress code for any event here in Vegas because apparently, ANYTHING is acceptable. So sad.....

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jacob wasn't harmed DURING the making of the movie....that excludes after right? LOL

-Maddie