Saturday, October 13, 2007

Missing Grandma, still....



October 13 - it was on this day, 12 years ago, that my grandmother passed away. I still miss her so badly! I can still hear her voice and I can still remember some of our conversations. I remember the things she liked and the things she didn't. I love flowers and birds because of my grandmother. Nobody appreciated the beauty of the world the way she did. What a wonderful thing to pass on to your children and grandchildren! I know how much she'd love to see the changing colors in our forest right now. Because of grandma, my kids and I spend a lot of time pointing out the beauty and the changes that we see.

I know I've said this before - but today is one of those days that I'd give anything for just one more day with her. A day to look into her eyes and a day to hear her voice. An opportunity to ask her questions and to tell her "thank you" for so many things. A chance to feel the love and tenderness and strength in her hands - a day to see her meet the seven children she never had the chance to. I guess then I'd just have to say good-bye again - maybe that's why we get memories instead...saying good-bye a second time would probably be worse than the first. I miss you grandma.

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Shiela, I cried when I saw the picture of your and your grandmother. I was just thinking the other day -- I wonder how many years it has been since Frances passed away. Couldn't remember the year or day (should'a looked in my journal). She was my mentor in family history. My first class was with her and I can still hear her say, "You won't get answers, if you don't write letters" and I quote her nearly every family history class I teach. She was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Shi-
Today I forced myself to read through many of my e-mails. You have so beautifully put onto words many of the sweet memories of Grandma. I miss her more than words can say. She was my rock and I could certainly us some one on one time. I am looking forward to all eternity. Auntie