This week it was Jared. Here's a little history:
A month ago, Jared was standing in the living room and blacked out. I saw him from the corner of my eye and he fell, flat as a board, on to the floor. He came too quickly and seemed to be fine - We asked him how he felt and he said, "Just like when this happened before." WHAT? BEFORE? Holy Cow! We had no idea he had blacked out before, so we took him in to our beloved Doc Olson the next day for a check up.
The doctor listened to his heart and said he sounded ok, but that blacking out at 8 years old wasn't normal - and since Jared couldn't remember the events clearly, he scheduled us with a pediatric cardiologist for a check.
We haven't really stressed over the appointment this past month - but it's always been in the back of mom's mind, for sure. Could there really be something wrong?
Yesterday was the day. We got to the hospital and the meeting with the doctor went like this.
Doctor: Hi Jared, how are you doing?
Jared: Fine
Doctor: Your blood pressure looks good, that's a good thing - and your EKG looks good, too.
(Mom breathes a small sigh of relief)
Doctor: So tell me abt when you passed out, Jared.
(Mom sits anxiously, letting Jared talk for himself so she isn't labeled as one of THOSE moms who won't let her child talk)
Jared: We were standing in the living room, and I was standing by the tv and then it got dark in my eyes and I fell.
(Mom nods in agreement as this is the story he has told since day one - start to finish, nothing different)
Doctor: Wow, that must have been scary. Did it hurt when you fell?
Jared: No
Doctor: That's good. So what were you doing when this happened?
(Mom looking at Jared with a very proud smile on her face b/c her baby was doing so well communicating with the doctor...)
Jared: I was holding my breath.
(Mom's expression instantly goes from that of pride, to that of disbelief)
Mom: Well, I'm no doctor, but I think I can take it from here Dr. G.
Doctor: Holding your breath, huh? Ok, well, do you do that a lot?
Jared: Sometimes.
Doctor: Why do you do that, Jared?
Jared: It makes me feel dizzy and it's funny.
Doctor: Oh, I see - well, maybe you should stop doing that.
Jared: Ok.
Mom: Thanks for your time, Doctor. Just bill this to my insurance!
Doctor: I will, and I'll even give it a big latin name for you!
Mom: Thanks so much!
Of course mom was thrilled to have there be nothing wrong with her baby boy!! But COME ON! lol What a punk!
The "other time" that he blacked out was legitimate however. He had gotten out of bed in the morning and walked toward the bathroom - apparently became light headed when he stood up and did black out (trust me, I asked if he had been holding his breath before he got out of bed). The doctor said that that is a real thing, usually more common in boys. Vega something - some muscle doesn't flex properly and constrict bloodflow so when you stand up and the blood drains too quickly from your head. Makes since to my not-a-doctor brain!
So there you have it - the worry, the you've-got-to-be-kidding, and the actual relief that there is nothing wrong with Jared...other than he needs more things to do with his free time!!
2 comments:
OMGOSH! I am so ROFL at this one. So glad he's OK *snicker*
LOL What a stinker! I guess you should ask more questions before scheduling a Dr's appt next time!
Post a Comment