
I think about her when I make bread - and have just recently, within the past couple of years, stopped thinking to myself as I'm kneading the bread that I should call her and see how she's doing. (Yes, I could still dial her phone number.) I make bread because Grandma made bread. I love the whole process. I love the challenge of not killing the yeast. I love gently covering the dough and waiting for it to rise. I love (and so does Jacob now) "punching it down". It goes without saying that I love the smell of freshly baked bread in my home. But mostly - I just love the memory of all of these things being done countless times throughout my childhood with my Grandma.

I think about her while I watch my children grow. Madilyn was my newborn 14 years ago. Jason was only 14 months old. I never got to share my children with Grandma. But I do get to share the priceless nurturing traits with them that she passed on to me. My kids may never know how much they truly owe Grandma Nichols!

I could go on and on sharing the times I think of Grandma. She raised a wonderful daughter - she raised a happy granddaughter - her influence is raising wonderful great grandchildren...and I can say without reservation that there will be many more generations that will benefit from the wonderful woman that she was. I miss you Granny Goose!
No comments:
Post a Comment